Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Adrian Conner (Hell's Belles, Adrian and the Sickness) interview

1 comments

How old were you when you first got into music and why did you get into music?

I was into music right away. My parents had a tiny little toy piano for me to play. And I remember listening to kid records on the old Fisher Price turntable. My mom drove a huge Buick Estate wagon and would put on ABBA. I would sit WAY in the back and put my ear right to the speaker and sing.


What were some of the first bands/artists that you listened to on a regular basis?

ABBA, Cyndi Lauper, Tina Turner, Madonna and whatever my sister listened to (Duran Duran and before that, Quiet Riot). I liked all the bands in the '80s as a kid and put every single picture on my wall.


How old were you when you started playing a musical instrument and what was the first instrument that you started playing?

I went through a ton of musical instruments that I did not like. Piano, piccolo, saxophone, harmonica, etc. Recorder was part of 4th grade curriculum. I picked guitar at 14 and I thought it was too hard. But I stuck with it.


Why did you choose that particular instrument?

Because of the movie Satisfaction with Justine Bateman.


As a singer and as a musician, who/what are some of your influences and why?

AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. I love new music. I love songs that touch me, whether they are fun or serious. It doesn’t even have to have guitar in it for me to fall in love with a great song.


Discuss your experiences (good and/or bad) both as a female musician and as a woman working in the entertainment industry.

Bad first, so that we can end with good.

Bad:

Well, I’ve heard several comments that fellow musicians have said about me and my bands: "she's good" or "she’s a better guitar player than me". And then those guys never come to another show. They never ask us to share a bill with them.

I think mostly what sucks is feeling like no other bands want to do shows with us. Or ask us on to killer bills. It’s too bad that we can't come together as peers to pull off great club shows. We feel alone sometimes in a sea of "local/unproven bands". How do we stand out? Especially when our peers ignore us. Maybe they just really don’t like what we do.

Good:

Playing in Hell's Belles with some of my favorite people on earth: Amber, Laura D., Lisa B., Mandy Reed and Sharon Needles. Hell's Belles was one of the first tribute bands ever. Tribute bands were not common back in 2000. We've always taken AC/DC to heart and play with precision and fury. In fact, we play so well that Angus Young himself has said that Hell’s Belles was his favorite AC/DC tribute band. Hell's Belles has made it possible for me to hone my songwriting skills and put out albums independently and 100% DIY for the last 12 years.


What are some of your favorite AC/DC songs to perform and why?

"Shoot To Thrill". So many cool guitar ideas in that song.


What are some of your favorite AC/DC albums/songs and why?

I dig the hits like "Back In Black" and "Highway To Hell". But I also love the first album and POWERAGE


Discuss Adrian and the Sickness, your original band.

Adrian and the Sickness is my creative outlet. I love spending my free time creating music. Practicing. Listening and writing. Writing comes from the other bands and songwriters that inspire me. And probably many other places - sadness, anger, happiness, euphoria, silence, etc.

On the flip side of that, there’s a need to share that music. And a lot of heartache comes from that attempt. Therefore, more songs. That’s some sick cycle.


Feel free to discuss any of your other endeavors (musical or otherwise) here.

Other endeavors include being a better person. Not succumbing to our poisonous American pop culture. Finding self worth. Giving to charities. And being loving and patient with myself so that I can be that way towards others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not surprised by anything in this interview, she's a really good person. Also her live shows and her songwriting impress the shit out of me!

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Clairvo